501 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 12, 2009, 08:58
Squid Tempest wrote:
pooley wrote:
Merrick wrote:
pooley wrote:
I was making a point.

Oh yes, so you were. That someone who objects to all inceidences of racist language has 'a skin too few and a sociology O level'.

How very helpful to the discussion, and my, how it makes you bathed in the golden light of approval. Now everyone who disagreed with you earlier on agrees, and those of us who were still having intelligent debate have decided that it's all over.

Again, I'd suggest thinking before you post.

No - a point about how easy it is to be offensive - and how those who look for offense can easily find it. you helped me prove my point - thanks

So now you are suggesting that I was looking for offense when suggesting to my father that we explain to my grandad that he was being racist? Or am I misinterpreting you?

I don't see what merited your response suggesting that my father would have taken the piss, joke or no joke. Nothing could have been further from the truth. I think all you have proven is that you fail to understand the nature (or seriousness) of racism, and don't much care anyway. From my point of view, to ignore even minor racist comments is to allow racism to fester and grow in our society.

No, I care very much about racism - i think it is a vile blister on the skin of humanity that needs removing.
But saying Grandad don't say golliwog - or paki or nigger is like using a band aid to cover heart surgery. You are doing it to make yourself feel better about your lack of racism and how great an equalitist (is that a word) you are rather than do anything positive.

Personally - i think that the older generations racism is beyond curing - it is a cancer that has spread to far into their very being and the only cure is death (I am not advocating murder of racists, for the easily shocked, i am saying that their racism will end with their deaths). For some of the older generation casual racism is inbred. When my grandad was near the end in hospital he said to me "they got a black nurse looking after me - i was a bit worried, but she's alright".
His surprise that a black nurse could be anything other than inferior was amusing, sad and a lesson learned too late.
We accept racism in our elders aa they accept the bed wetting of children - they know no better and bollocking them for it is counter productive. you are going to upset your elderly relative and not change them. So, well done - to make your self feel better an old man with not a lot of idea about what he has done wrong is upset.
Ok, end of rant. for now
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index