Carol Thatch

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 10, 2009, 10:54
I think you're right that Clarkson and Moyles get away with worse. I strongly suspect that it is, as you suggest, that they're a fucksight more popular than Thatcher.

I also wonder whether it makes any odds that they're blokes and blokes are meant to be all boorish and table-thumpy, whereas women are meant to be more sensitive.

Additionally, I think that Thatcher hit on the top-scorer in the hierarchy of oppression. It's much more acceptable to discriminate against someone because of their sexuality or gender than it is because of their ethnicity.

Imagine if Moyles was as racist as he is sexist, his head would roll before long.

shanshee_allures wrote:
Then along come the white middle classes speaking on behalf of an entire people and say 'oh it's ok for THEM to say that word'... What do they mean by THEM?

I think that's pretty clear. 'Them' refers to the people who were denigrated by the word in question.

As a white person my use of nigger is totally different that a black person using it.

Whilst oppression and discrimination can and do cut both ways, it's a matter of historical precedent and social norms.

In a society where people are denigrated for not being white, male, English, heterosexual, financially solvent, etc, then jibes based on these things carry more weight and need to be picked up on.

Jo Brand may well be sexist to men. That is not something to condone (so now *everybody* is criticised for things they didn't choose about themselves? Thanks Jo), but it is different to being sexist against women, as that compounds the already degraded position of women.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index