Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Feb 11, 2009, 15:58
Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 11, 2009, 15:29
shanshee_allures wrote:

TBH, one phrase I find more offensive than most others is 'Uncle Tom'. It suggests there are ways us 'whites' expect black people to behave.

It doesnt mean that though, but it is an offensive term. Its an insult black people use against other black people who are acting subservient to whites in order to better themselves in some way. It comes from Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel 'Uncle Toms Cabin'. The character isn't like that, but he gets portrayed that way.

Edit : What I'm saying is, it's use doesn't deconstruct to saying that there is a way white people expect black people to behave. It points to a time when the subservient role was accepted, sure, but it's usage is more of an accusation of erm... selling out. Although it can be seen as being derogatory to whites, in that it kinda says we have expectations of being superior, that to me is a big stretch.

The one that bugs me, even if it is a US term I've heard it used here is 'White Trash'. The history and use of that term basically suggests that Black people are lower than trash. Edit : But then I'm probably on a stretch there too.

The Professionals is a guilty pleasure in this house, you're not alone in that, "You doing anything later when you finish here love ?"
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index