Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Carol Thatch
Feb 03, 2009, 10:16
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5645419.ece

Apple don't fall far from the tree does it?
What do we think of this - disgraceful racism by daughter of reactionary old tart?

Private comment that shouldn't have been reported?

BBC covering it's arse on the wake of the RUssel Brand thing?

Would it have been different had it not been a Thatch??
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2009, 10:46
Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 03, 2009, 10:23
I can't stand the BBC's puritan clearances right now.
And not to get into a 'is this is this not' racism debacle (FWIW I wouldn't use that term) I'm sure they've heard that sort of thing from her before, so who knows.
Anyway, I'm surprised she ain't eternally confused with this dude

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72492020.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61DFDF1CCBA7604EE78A0E721FD50B7AE

EDIT: And there's this bit

*Her friends said that she had been referring to the player’s hairstyle and was not making a racist comment.*

Could, just could be true. Unless they decide to disclose the indentity of the tennis player in question so 'we' can judge for ourselves, what's the point?

x
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 03, 2009, 11:44
Why would anyone with any common sense use the term these days?

From what I can work out she's not a stupid woman.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2009, 11:50
Feb 03, 2009, 11:49
I agree she's not stupid, and I neither support nor vilify her, it's the nature of the BBC that rankles right now, which is another matter.

As a bit of a class bigot I think the mid-upper clasees lack a hell of alot of the common sense and personal decorum us proles seem to have about us, so maybe that's it, Who knows.

x
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Feb 04, 2009, 03:03
Thre is a "common sense" reply, which I am "SELF-CENSORED" TO MAKE - please. someone, post it!
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Feb 04, 2009, 03:17
Do a search on eBay for "Golliwog"..as an example...and see how normal folk regard a minstral doll, just as it is, without any sinister racist overtones.
I don't know what Thatcher was getting at, but let's say it was the hair - is this really offensive to be compared to a doll that has "wild hair"?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2009, 10:41
Feb 04, 2009, 10:41
pooley wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5645419.ece

Apple don't fall far from the tree does it?
What do we think of this - disgraceful racism by daughter of reactionary old tart?

Private comment that shouldn't have been reported?

BBC covering it's arse on the wake of the RUssel Brand thing?

Would it have been different had it not been a Thatch??

Hmmm...it was reported that it was a 'private comment' - apparently Adrian Chiles and Jo Brand took offence - if it was truly offensive to them, then they could have said to her...
"Carol, .....I think/we think you're well out of order..and you are to set an example, you work in the media blah blah blah" etc. and then maybe have explained to her (if she didn't know), why such a term could cause a stir 'outside' or 'on-air' etc. -
But for Chiles and Brand to now drag it from 'the green room', then proceed to set about crucifying her in the full media-show, obtaining 'brownie points' along the way (and what brownie points! - the daughter of Maggie Thatcher!!).
I think it's a cheap shot at galvanising their own chest-puffing-holier-than-thou media profiles.

If it was a camera operator or sound engineer saying it off-air, would they have dragged him/her out into the open? I think not.

Who was the tennis player?
Were they white/black/asian/other?
Will they be able to comment on things?

Or will they be destined for the 'mute room' like Prince Harry's 'friend'?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 04, 2009, 11:32
Rumoured now to be Andy Murray.

Whose do does resemble that of a golliwog. Also looks like he's stuck his finger in an electrical socket, sort of. Another lame joke.

What is really, really disgusting is that in relation to the affair the Daily Mail have a picture of a black Tennis player (don't know who, don't keep up with Tennis) beside a cartoon drawing of a golliwog, so they've made their minds up it was him she was talking about and even if she didn't think he looked like one they obvioulsy do.

We need to be offended but for different reasons.

x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 04, 2009, 11:40
shanshee_allures wrote:
Rumoured now to be Andy Murray.

I had a feeling it may be Andy Murray!

What a palaver!
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2009, 19:57
Feb 04, 2009, 19:55
I remember a Villa player on Star Soccer or something - Tony Daley; he was making a run toward goal, and the commentator Jimmy Greaves watched as Daley made his blistering billy whizz effort, the ball disappeared into oblivion as was the wont of Tony Daley and the fellow trotted back up his half with the camera tracking him - complete silence. Then Greavsie uttered "You can sweep a chimney with that hair". I still find it funny after all these years, recalling Daleys peculiar hairstyle

Another incident was motty when he got so confused as to which black player was which, he got pulled up when he mentioned this.

I recall a very disagreeable rapper fellow who may have had a tune called return of the mack - he went to prison, probably for carrying a weapon. He even wrote a tune about how thoroughly pissed off he was for the temerity of the authorities to incarcerate him, I think it was called 'No prison can hold me' he wound up doing Community service, but quite a while into before it transpired that the Probation Service realised that the Rapper had delegated one of his acolytes to knock off the hours for his Community Order.

I felt Motty had some justification for his confusion
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index