Blasphemy law abolished

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 10, 2008, 14:22
Yes, in reference to the original post, yes, yes, yes.

I wasn't raised religious and my wife and I didn't raise our daughter to be either. She does have a sound moral sensibility (better than mine).

I wonder how much hostility towards religion is a reaction to bad experiences with it? I can see how being abused under the auspices of religion could provoke a strongly negative reaction to it. But even under those circumstances, to put a blanket condemnation on the entire subject of religion is prejudicial.

We do shape our kids for better or worse. The ORIGINAL intent of religion (not spirituality) was to codify moral and social law. I doubt anyone here disagrees that 'thou shalt not steal or kill' is essential to a community's well being, or to an individual's, for that matter. That it has been twisted and corrupted to serve exploitive powers is not central to the 'why' of religion.

Should we be fighting religious extremism? Absolutely. Should we be keeping religion and state separate? Absolutely.

Should we be 'at war' with religion AS A WHOLE? No. That's a dismally extremist position and one I can not respect, as it only replaces absolutist belief in God with absolutist disbelief in God. Both camps are merely reacting TO EACH OTHER- neither is correct.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index