59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 09, 2008, 18:28
Littlestone wrote:
I don't think anyone's saying religious freedoms ought to be curtailed, just that religions should not be allowed preferential treatment within our political or educational systems

I heartily concur.

But just as religion should not be allowed preferential treatment, organized clout that is hostile to religion ought not to be elevated either.

Messy as it is having all these conflicting systems co-existing, I think it's gravely dangerous to think that one way is everyone's way.

And in some cases religion is a force for positive secular change, as in the antislavery, civil rights, and antiwar movements. Christian thought gets drubbed on a regular basis here because of the more obtuse variants, but history is full of examples of believers who righted grievous wrongs with their religion as a central force.

I think there's too much patent anti-religiousness on these boards sometimes, from the drude's diatribes on Islam on down. I'm not defending religion. I'm defending diversity of thought and the idea that everyone be judged on their character. I've had friends of many persuasions, including some born-agains.

Nothing wrong with respectful disagreements, but there's a LOT wrong with the idea that ANYONE possesses the ultimate 'right' answer. Is this not why we all despise the fundamentalists? The militant secularists are no less guilty of attempts to instill their narrow views on the majority.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index