Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2008, 15:04
Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 10, 2008, 15:00
nigelswift wrote:
"SOME religious convictions are beautiful (Brotherly love, compassion, taking a stand against evil in the form of human bondage, etc)"

Not sure those are purely religious in origin. They've been well known in my irreligious family for generations and we've stuck to them about as closely as the average believer does.

Those convictions may or may not have their origin in religion... but they were codified within religion. Our culture today is the product of yesterday's world, and yesterday's world had religion at it's core. So perhaps it's become so ingrained into our thinking that we think it's always been this way- but it hasn't. Humanity springs from the natural world, and the law of the jungle was once the benchmark. So somewhere along the line we developed codes of behavior that supersede our animal instincts.

nigelswift wrote:
In addition we've taken to other standards of behaviour - the Highway Code and Netiquette for instance, things about which the Almighty seems rather ill-equipped to guide us. Could this be evidence that Man ought to think for himself not rely on the unproven Supernatural?

I never said that human beings cannot govern themselves without a belief in God. I'm just questioning the position that belief in God is tantamount to being an idiot.

There are much, much smarter people than you or I who are believers.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index