Blasphemy law abolished

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 09, 2008, 21:10
Perhaps a lot of apprehension about religion lies in misnomers and misconceptions. There IS a strong tradition of debate and intellectual discussion in most faiths... unfortunately, we live in a time when the most strident and unbending strains of religion get the most press and have infiltrated the halls of power.

I shouldn't have to remind anyone that secular thought can be just as self-deceiving as fundamentalism. Science has been guilty of promoting 'truths' and 'remedies' that later were proven fallacious.

I fear that in the reactionary desire to banish religion, we might be embracing (with too little intellectual query or emotional distance) memes that will prove to be little better, or even potentially WORSE.

I keep stressing in these posts that deal with this subject that we cannot draw blanket conclusions about religion based on the most egregious examples of its more strident and uncompromising members. The vast majority of the planet claims religious affiliation to one faith or another. Are we saying that most people on the planet are wrongheaded? (I grant you it's possible). More likely, most people are raised in traditions that include religion. It's more a case of cultural identity than ideological fervor in most of the world.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index