59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 09, 2008, 17:58
Hi handofdave

I don't think anyone's saying religious freedoms ought to be curtailed, just that religions should not be allowed preferential treatment within our political or educational systems (which at present they are allowed). Religions are, after all, belief systems - no more no less - and while people have the right to believe whatever they want they do not have the right to impose those beliefs on others - whether minors or the general public.

I agree with you that abolishing religion doesn't achieve much - if anything (as in the communist states you cite) such a policy simply pushes the religion underground and probably nurtures it in so doing. If we believe in a free and democratic society then that society has to be founded on principles of enquiry, freedom of expression and equal respect for all aspects of human achievement and endevour (something, when one thinks about it, that has often been suppressed by religious and political institutions in the past).

In my humble opinion a truly free and democratic society can never come about if institutions (especially those with educational, political or social clout) start off from a single belief system - religious or otherwise.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index