Blasphemy law abolished

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2008, 13:51
Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 10, 2008, 13:44
Well, I've seen the jokes on Seinfeld, so I reckon that, for the most part, circumcision doesn't result inlasting pstchological problems for most.

However, it still is deciding something for your child - as a result of your own beliefs (in the context of religious circumcision) - that is totally outwith the realms of 'redress'. They cannot denounce that at all, ever. Even if it turns out they never want to, I find that a bit unsettling. Just being utterly objective here Dave.

We have to remember too that to a child parents are their 'state, their governement, their world. They get their morals, their laws, their boundaries, everything from us. So isn't there some similairy between a theocracy and a 'theocratic' upbringing? If we see problems can arise with one, why not the other? Not just talking radical fanatacis here, and neither are we when we see little bits of state legislation informed by religion creeping in. We resent it. Same thing IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, my role with my child is to tell her what's harmful (to herself), and remind her not to hurt and do her best to always respect others, and that's about it. I don't rasie her in opposition to religion, it just isn't there. We don't live in an actively anti religious way. Secularism isn't 'atheism', but religion more or less views it as being so.

As for the original message of this thread, about time I say. It has been accepted in law for years that religious types (loons as they may be) can cast us as sinners or infidels destined to roast or whatever. So if they want a level playing field, it's about time we can (if we choose to) parody or criticise their ways too, through art, through speech, whatever.

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index