Blasphemy law abolished

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 09, 2008, 21:20
I am against state funding of religious schools. But at the same time I'm not going to tell a community that they can't build one and teach their kids how they choose. I do think it's important that there be benchmarks in terms of quality- kids need to get what they need to live in this world... and obviously, schools that do nothing but train their students to be Koran-regurgitating AK-47 wielding martyrs aren't carrying out a mission of education.

I agree that people should, in a best case scenario, be able to choose a faith or none at all. In fact, in the western world, this is commonplace more than it is not. It's in cultures where religion is fanatical and militant that we see the tragic brainwashing and indoctrination that leads to generations of intellectually robbed and railroaded kids. And I do include the religious right wing in the USA... just watch 'Jesus Camp' for an example.

Many, many people, in fact, more than not, raise their kids under religious tradition. I'm OK with that as long as they're allowed to ask questions and are allowed to leave that religion if they choose.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index