Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2008, 14:02
Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 10, 2008, 14:00
nigelswift wrote:
"And WHY do some lump all religions together into one undifferentiated target of derision? That's intellectually lazy. The world isn't black and white. "

I don't agree. It's ever so black and white and not even slightly gray.
Either you believe there's an intelligent directing force with whom we can or need to interact, or you don't.

Ergo, as someone who doesn't believe I have to think that all those who DO believe, be they cleverer and nicer than me or not are deluded and/or mistaken. And if their convoluted belief systems lead them to act beyond the simple religious precept Love Thy Neighbour I'm liable to say rather more than they're deluded and mistaken - as Mr Cope has. He seems a fine chap to me. A lot less harmful than anyone that gets their sense of what's right out of the small print of a holy book.

I think you are trying to oversimplify a very complex issue.

The world is "ever so black and white and not even slightly gray"? Wow... that's exactly how the fundies think.

As for Cope, I don't fault him for decrying the damage done by monotheism. But what do you say about his affirmative opinions of shamanism, for example? That is an example of 'interacting with a intelligent force', is it not?

How do you KNOW that there is no God? You have no empirical evidence of that. It's just as ridiculous to dismiss the possibility altogether as it is to embrace it with detailed certainty.

Robert Anton Wilson's 'Maybe' logic is a completely appropriate response to that question.

What is the problem with admitting you don't know for sure? Are you afraid you are conceding to some 'enemy'? Perhaps this brash certainty is armor you wear in fear of the brash certainty of certain religious believers?

I find absolutist hostility towards religious people just as distasteful as the absolutist hostility of religious people towards us.

If you do believe in 'Love thy Neighbor', as you claim, then you must extend that to people who may disagree with you.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index