Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Rubbish & chips
Aug 30, 2006, 12:39
grufty jim wrote:
pooley wrote:
Something else, Jim, that I admit I have only just thought of.

What other area of your life would you allow this intrusion to happen in? Does agreeing with the ends justify the means? I'm very against all the various intrusions that we have been subjected to under Blair, and all the other stuff that we will have subjected on to us (id cards etc). Does that fact that this intrusion will be for the good mean we should accept it?

Hmmmm.

If I'm misreading you, pooley, then please say so and I'll completely apologise. But you give the impression of having made up your mind that the chipping of bins is A Bad Thing based on some sort of gut feeling, and are now casting around for any and all rationalisations for what is essentially an irrational reaction.

The reason I feel this is because you don't appear capable of acknowledging anything I say. I respond to each of your objections with (I believe) a well-reasoned response. Rather than saying "Good point, Jim, BUT...." you merely ignore my words and launch into yet another rejection. And those rejections appear - to me - to be getting sillier and sillier.

Nowhere did I suggest that "the end justifies the means" as a general principle. Nor that government intrusions are a good thing. But clearly the question of whether the ends justify the means must be answered on a case-by-case basis. Plunging a blade into someone's stomach isn't a justifiable means if the end is to get him to stop talking in the cinema. It is, however, a justifiable means if you're a surgeon the end is to remove his inflamed appendix.

Similarly with the chipping of bins, I'm not proposing some kind of 'universal Machiavellian principle' here, I'm suggesting that weighing the amount of garbage being disposed by individual households is a more than justifiable means towards the end of reducing the environmental impact of humanity.

Quite how you equate that with government intrusion and biometric ID cards is utterly beyond me. In fact I fail to see how it can be classified as "intrusion" at all, unless you're suggesting that you have an Unalienable Right to dispose of as much waste as you choose without anyone - including those handling the mechanics of the disposal - regulating it in any way. Frankly I find that idea simply bizarre.

Ok, I know i've been a bit flip about all this. But I have said that I agree that we all have to manage our waste properly. I just don't think this is the way. From the very start it's been underhand and secretive and, as you have quite rightly said, could have been handled better.
Sorry that I didn't say when I agreed with you. Like you I think that something needs to be done, like you I think we all have to claim personal responsibility for our waste. Like you (i'm assuming) I recycle, and do all I can to manage my waste.
Unlike you, I think this system isn't the way forward. My comment about warfare on the streets was meant to be taken literally. What I meant is, and has been said before on thisthread, it will lead to people putting heavier objects in other peoples bins. And disposing of rubbish in less than ethical ways.

Sorry if you thought my objections were only thought up to justify my viewpoint. That isn't the case. The one time when something just popped into my head, I admitted it at the start of the post. Maybe that's where you got the idea. Maybe I'm not very good at expressing myself.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index