Rubbish & chips

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Rubbish & chips
Aug 27, 2006, 22:45
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402460&in_page_id=1770

I checked my new bin and there it was so I took it out.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Rubbish & chips
Aug 28, 2006, 13:58
Pete G wrote:
I checked my new bin and there it was so I took it out.

Why Pete? Clearly the idea is to create some kind of waste disposal profile which will later allow councils to charge a fee based upon the amount of rubbish being disposed. Which can only be a good thing. People need to realise that throwing stuff into a bin doesn't make it magically disappear.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 28, 2006, 16:54
But the problem is bigger than that.
I wouldn't mind paying for the extra rubbish that I throw out (I recycle slavishly, and compost etc) if I knew that the councils were treating the rubbish in a responsible manner.
How many times do we hear that our trash is just shipped out to other countries for them to deal with?
I'll stop thinking that it magically disapears when they do.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 28, 2006, 17:59
pooley wrote:

You're not seriously suggesting that individuals should wait for those in authority to realise the error of their ways before taking action to mend their own. Are you?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Aug 28, 2006, 19:40
Our bins here are chipped. Bin charges were introduced at a flat €180 per year. Now the bins are weighed everytime they are emptied and we get charged for what we dispose of plus a €4 euro charge for each pick-up. Last year our bin charges were just €80. The recycling green bin is collected for free.

When the flat charge was in place everyone put their bins out every week. Now most people put them out every two or three weeks. Just like the plastic bag tax it's had an effect.

Some people choose to stockpile their rubbish and take it straight to the landfill themselves and so don't have the bin with the chip.

Everyone should pay proportionally for the rubbish they produce. If everyone stopped buying products with too much packaging the manufacturers would soon stop over packaging things. Most packaging is necessary and is only there to make things look good on the shelf.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 28, 2006, 22:02
So what's to stop someone swapping bins with some poor old duck down the road that never throws stuff away?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Aug 28, 2006, 22:38
Why? Because I wasn't asked first.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 29, 2006, 03:47

Still this particular bullet has to be bitten though, chips in dustbins. It has to be brought home to people that rubbish has to end up somewhere. Bath has been recycling for the last few years, it certainly makes you aware (and guess who does it) sorting paper, tins, plastic, clothes,compost etc, how much each individual creates in rubbish. Now of course, we can even send our greenstuff off for composting along with the cardboard. We will never achieve zero waste but if the councils start mithering the people about rubbish maybe, just maybe, the manufacturers will stop making all that non bio-degradable plastic that everything comes wrapped up in. Another good method of not creating waste is, of course, to reduce going to supermarkets and not buying the stuff in the first place....
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 29, 2006, 09:51
Pete G wrote:

Are you saying that the council need to clear the technology for profiling waste-disposal with each individual household? How many of them do you think will agree? (given that it may end up costing them money)

Personally, I don't recall being asked about any of the (limited) environmental policies that have already been introduced. I suppose I'll just start ignoring exhortations to recycle and start complaining about the Irish plastic bag tax until the council send someone out to ask me whether I mind or not.

You are - of course - perfectly at liberty to do what you want on this issue, but I find your attitude mystifying. Just an opinion.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 29, 2006, 09:58
grufty jim wrote:
pooley wrote:

You're not seriously suggesting that individuals should wait for those in authority to realise the error of their ways before taking action to mend their own. Are you?

No, not at all. But if we are going to be charged for the amount of rubbish we throw away then we have a responsibility to make sure that it being dealt with in the correct way.

Maybe I was misleading in what i said before. My opinion is - paying for rubbish that it going to be diposed of in a responsible manner, ok, fair enough. It's a pain but we all have to act

Paying for rubbish that is just going to be shipped off and forgot about - no way.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index