pooley
501 posts

Re: Rubbish & chips
Aug 30, 2006, 08:39
grufty jim wrote:
pooley wrote:
grufty jim wrote:
pooley wrote:
I'll stop thinking that it magically disapears when they do.

You're not seriously suggesting that individuals should wait for those in authority to realise the error of their ways before taking action to mend their own. Are you?

No, not at all. But if we are going to be charged for the amount of rubbish we throw away then we have a responsibility to make sure that it being dealt with in the correct way.

Maybe I was misleading in what i said before. My opinion is - paying for rubbish that it going to be diposed of in a responsible manner, ok, fair enough. It's a pain but we all have to act

Paying for rubbish that is just going to be shipped off and forgot about - no way.

Hmmm... that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, pooley. There are two entirely separate issues at stake here (with regards to waste management). One, as you rightly point out, is what happens with our collective waste - does it get landfilled in China? Landfilled closer to home? Recycled? Incinerated? Dumped in the sea? Whatever.

I am not disagreeing with you here; that's an important issue and needs to be dealt with.

However, the second issue - completely unconnected to the first - is the question of the quantity of waste produced by each individual household. And charging for waste disposal is an attempt to deal with that end of the problem by inducing people to minimise the amount of waste entering the disposal stream in the first place.

Yes, the question of what happens to your rubbish is important, but surely the attempt to minimise the amount generated by society (whatever we do with it) is also very important?

Something else, Jim, that I admit I have only just thought of.
What other area of your life would you allow this intrusion to happen in? Does agreeing with the ends justify the means? I'm very against all the various intrusions that we have been subjected to under Blair, and all the other stuff that we will have subjected on to us (id cards etc). Does that fact that this intrusion will be for the good mean we should accept it?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index