Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2006, 11:30
Re: Rubbish & chips
Aug 30, 2006, 11:22
Rhiannon wrote:
Ah well if it works in other places it'll probably work here. Perhaps people are generally more responsible than I give them credit for.

Sadly I think the threat of massive fines for non-compliance probably has as much to do with the schemes working as "personal responsibility". But c'est la vie.

Rhiannon wrote:
I'm certainly not against the idea*, I just think it would be Polite to tell people you're monitoring them. Otherwise people might turn against the thing you're doing for no other reason (oops - which seems to be the feeling that might be happening here?).

As I've said elsewhere on this thread, I don't honestly see this as "monitoring" per se. When you place your rubbish in a council bin for them to dispose of, are you still claiming ownership of it? Don't you believe - what with them having to provide the logistics and equipment to handle that waste - that they have a right... no, an obligation... to handle it as efficiently as possible?

I have to say, I've genuinely had my mind blown by this thread. Usually here we're lambasting the authorities for not doing enough to prevent environmental damage. Now, however, we have them trialing a system - proven to do just that in other nations - and the general attitude is negative.

I feel the allegations of Big Brother tactics are spurious. I honestly can't see how waste-disposal charging by weight is an intrusion into a part of your life you have a right to keep private... as I say, unless you feel you have A Right to chuck as much waste into the environment as you want without any form of regulation.

Rhiannon wrote:
Here at work at the moment it's a cliche but the management are planning lots of changes but not telling us the details, and then asking 'will that be alright then?' - understandably we feel in the dark and aggravated, and are resisting it all. It's the same kind of thing. A bit of openness goes a long way. After all it's for the common good in the end innit.

There's no doubt - given the furore (anyone else weirded-out by the fact that the same attitude is manifest here as in the Daily Mail?) - that this could have been handled better from a PR standpoint. But that's a whole other issue as to whether it's a good idea in principle.

And it is.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index