tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2013, 22:53
Re: Wind turbines; love them or hate them
Dec 08, 2013, 22:51
thesweetcheat wrote:
handofdave wrote:
There's one thing for certain, a vista with wind towers is preferable to a dead, overheated planet.

True, but I'm not sure it needs to be reduced to one choice or the other.

Part of the issue is that people in some parts of the country want electricity without having to see the generating equipment (in whatever form), so they're quite happy with the "out of sight, out of mind" option that comes from placing these things as far away as possible from their own homes.

Personally, I think each village, town and city should have the means of producing the energy it wants to use in its own backyard. That would focus people's minds on what they really want. I'd rather have some turbines (or other form of generating equipment) near to my suburban home than see swathes of unspoilt wilderness used for my convenience.

I saw an interview with the (French) boss of one of the big energy companies this morning. It appears by winter of next year there will not be enough electricity to meet our needs and the 'lights may well go out'. He was reluctant to commit himself when pressed and would only say there is enough for this year. Its not hard to imagine the implications of this - though no doubt there will be emergency generators for hospitals etc. The internet will go down for a start.

In a previous post I mentioned the large areas of bogland which make up the interior of Lewis. Whilst travelling back to Stornaway from Callanish on a now little used road across Lewis we saw no other vehicles, no dwellings except little tin huts where I believe the peat cutters shelter. We did see two or three wind turbines though (there may have been more out of view) they didn't spoil large swathes of wilderness (which in the case of Lewis is wilderness because of the past activities of humans) as they occupied a relatively small area.

We have to tolerate mobile phone masts on the top of otherwise unspoilt high places - I can't see what the difference is. From a distance anyway, wind turbines are not ugly. In close quarters I understand they are noisy and upsetting to live near - though surely electricity pylons are worse in terms of damage to well being.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index