Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Wind turbines; love them or hate them
Dec 07, 2013, 11:10
tjj wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Can't condone whats happening here, obviously, and from what i've read there are far more sensible options, but from a purely aesthetic point of view I like them. I realise I may be in a minority.

I'm fairly indifferent. I think they can look quite elegant. A lot of the landscapes that they allegedly ruin are very artificial anyway. There are certain places where I think they'd impose detrimentally on a fairly unspoiled view - Lewis, for example - but in many places, I find them quite aesthetically pleasing.

The Simon Jenkins article was a profoundly depressing read, I agree with him about the decisions being made by the current chancellor which seem to be about replenishing the coffers of the already wealthy at the expense of the landscape. However, I do support the principle of wind powered energy which equates to wind turbines. What are the other options? Nuclear power? With all its hazardous ramifications for future generations.

Mustard, with respect I don't agree with you about Lewis which has vast swathes of low lying bog land where no one but peat cutters go ... and its greatest resource is wind. Wind like I've never experienced before, which can blow for days and nights on end without let up. The down side is that birds may fly into them - perhaps eagles would soar above them.

Well there are lots of other options worth exploring from an alternatives point of view. Wind isn't the answer to our energy needs. Solar is looking a lot more promising, along with things like thorium and sustainable fusion that could yet produce results. I'm not an expert though, so I tend to avoid having a strong opinion because it's a complex subject about which I know too little.

I think, to be fair, it would depend where on Lewis they were built. We have few unspoiled areas left around these islands, so I don't think it's acceptable to ruin one of those just because it's windy.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index