The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 02, 2010, 12:22
I agree that leaving such things is pretty ignorant, and there's little excuse for it, but good habits are something that we have to teach. In our throw-away society, I think it simply doesn't occur to people that leaving such crap is unacceptable. We need to engage with such folk and educate them. They probably don't realise that they're doing anything wrong.

But these people are supposed to be "in touch" with nature, the natural world and the "vibe" of the stones / sites aren't they. ?
Whilst i get your point i just can't understand how they can justify leaving something so unnatural at a site they revere knowing full well it will take centuries to break down.
People make long journeys in some cases to leave these offerings so why not put the same effort into sourcing a real rose for example instead of leaving a plastic one. ?
If i was of a mind to leave an offering i'd put a little thought into it, leaving stuff that won't naturally break down is just offensive to me and selfish on their part imo.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index