The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 01, 2010, 08:32
I'd like to back you up on both of your main points Resonox, lest you be characterised as being in an eccentric minority (which is the reverse of the truth) or somehow unreasonable (which is so patently not the case).

First, to ask the vast majority who leave nothing at sites to take a "live and let live" attitude to the tiny minority that foist their own wishes on everyone else in a physical form is PC gone mad. If the majority remove some stuff and kindly allow some stuff to remain the leavers should be being humbly and guiltily grateful not asserting their "rights" to have their stuff left untouched or having them asserted for them.

Second, if anyone sees anyone metal detecting on a protected site that's a criminal, imprisonable offence, and the damage they are doing is precisely and exactly of the nature of painting graffiti on stones, (but worse actually, as it's stealing knowledge as well as damaging sites) so tell the police, it ain't rocket science. They belong behind bars. Ain't I intolerant, eh? Yes I bloody am.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index