304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Creyr
Creyr
114 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 29, 2010, 19:04
[quote="Sweep"]

It seems to me the most productive way forward would be to join a few neo-pagan discussion forums and calmly and rationally suggest that biodegradable offerings would be much preferable to the kinds of things being left now. Ideas take root if presented in a congenial way and with frequency. This may not work, but I think it's worth a try, and I'm intending to do it. Those of us with a deep antipathy to anything new age, neo-pagan or whatever will need to proceed with caution, or hang around at the back. :D

Sweep - I think this is an excellent way forward and I really hope you go for it. I should probably hang around at the back....not that I have an antipathy for non-consensual beliefs or anything. What I omitted in my original post was that the person who asked me to go and clear the stuff up in the first place did so because he'd been talking to the tree and he said it told him it wasn't very happy being so adorned.

Personally I dont know about how the tree felt, but I'm pretty sure quite alot of the non-biodegradable stuff left as offerings is harmful to wildlife and farm animals. My view is that the important part of the offering is what occurs in the individual who makes the offering, not so much what occurs to the offering once it is made. (That doesnt mean I think its ok for offerings to end up as landfill. I dont think its ok for anything to end up as landfill actually, but thats something im still working on...)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index