Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 02, 2010, 09:26
megadread wrote:

But that's the accepted way of disposing of our rubbish, is it not. ?

Being accepted doesn't make something right.

megadread wrote:
I know it's not ideal but unfortunately it's the only means of disposal available to most of us, and it's legal, leaving your crap at ancient sites is not, it's littering, simple.

Well it's not simple, is it? If it was, everyone would hold the same view and behave in the same way. And if legality is our moral compass, how do we feel about governments destroying ancient sites to build roads?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you in principle, but the tone that always comes across in these discussions is counter-productive. It's better to understand why people do what they do and to try and change their ways through reasoned discussion. Just because someone doesn't see things in the same way as you, it doesn't mean that they lack personal integrity. Some may feel that offerings are entirely legitimate and feel quite morally justified in leaving them. That doesn't make them bad people - it simply means that they may not have looked at things from your perspective. And encouraging them to do so is best achieved without lecturing. Please don't take this as a personal criticism, because I can understand why people get so passionate about this issue.

megadread wrote:
Close to Barbrook 1 stone circle is a reconstructed cairn, every time i go there i find more and more little bits of quartz and to be honest i don't mind that as they're usually hidden under the stones, it's the bits of plastic tat that wind me up, in full view of everyone who visits, when these items become weather worn and dirty do the original owners return to take them away, i think not, they get lobbed to one side in the long grass then take a thousand years to rot, i just can't see how anyone can accept that as responsible behaviour.
As for tea lights, don't get me started on them. : z

I agree that leaving such things is pretty ignorant, and there's little excuse for it, but good habits are something that we have to teach. In our throw-away society, I think it simply doesn't occur to people that leaving such crap is unacceptable. We need to engage with such folk and educate them. They probably don't realise that they're doing anything wrong.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index