304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 03, 2010, 18:16
faerygirl wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Here's anothe little thought, just for the sake of (no) argument.....

Would it be OK for the local Avebury churches to bedeck the stones with holly and little baby Jesus's on Xmas Eve? Presumably, since they could cite every single one of the pro-offering arguments in support. Indeed, it would be far more acceptable since they'd remove them after 12 days.

Well, that said, they did BUILD CHURCHES on lots of them, which seemed ok at the time...

I wonder how the natives reacted at the time?...I'll bet they were secretly fuming at sites long held sacred to their ancestors,had a grand edifice planked on it....or would this have been deemed as an honour of sorts???....Then again(this is my own speculation mind...not a history) the promise of a new god taking over had the locals unsure of how to carry on worshipping to assure their place in the hereafter...or then again maybe they just quite willingly accepted a godhead(any godhead)as worship was ingrained in some form from living memory and legend....I'd imagine quite a few gods were tried and tested during early roman occupation...so the promise of one where poverty was the order of the day might have been very appealing...until the church(once established) started levying more taxes than the rulers.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index