304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited May 29, 2010, 12:27
Re: Tidying up offerings
May 29, 2010, 12:25
This discussion could go on for ever, perhaps what we are missing out on is that humans live within a social framework, we make rules for this and that, 'belt up'(seat belts), 'tidy litter' etc.... but when it comes to religion and individual belief we get tied up with trespassing on someone elses 'feeling', offerings are'nt after all dangerous (unless of course you slip on a banana skin) but they are scattered in an indiscriminate fashion across certain sites...

So Faerygirl what is your solution, to the bringing of 'stuff'? I know where you are coming from with this argument that belief has a right of expression, something I would stand by myself.. but what happens at sites is a multitude of personal beliefs. Could it be that a new way of spiritual thinking is evolving maybe, or people are being like 'sheep' and just following what everyone else is doing?
For those of us who went through the 60s, a 'new age' wave of religious belief took place then and I don't think any of that has survived unless you call secularism a religion, which is in a sense what you are arguing against.

Actually today I read in the news that an Ulster museum is debating whether to introduce the idea of 'creationism' into its galleries..now that is seriously worrying. ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index