Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 21, 2010, 18:07
Mustard wrote:

Whatever one's view on "offerings", the above statement is disingenuous. It was a farmer's arrogance and ignorance that led to a tree being chopped down.

I don't suppose anyone has a photograph of this tree prior to it's being "knocked down"??
Had the tieing and nailing of offerings etc caused the tree to weaken or be malformed and has anyone considered that the farmer may have had a perfectly good agrarian excuse for removing this tree from his land..(not that one springs to mind, I must admit)?...
However trees, shrubs and bushes are frequently removed from the land, my own bugbear is this new-ish hedge trimming fashion...not because it is destroying the hedge or anything sacred, but the nests and insects harbouring there(sacred in their own way as well as essential) are destroyed too, without so much as a by-your-leave or indeed complaint.
I daresay there will be a chorus of, "this tree was growing on sacred ground and had every right to be there and be venerated by all and sundry in whichever fashion they deemed suitable!!", and we will end up on the same track as another thread which more or less asked..."Who claims sacredness for a site/object/plant?"
Is it arrogance to say something isn't sacred or equally so to claim it is??
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index