Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 21, 2010, 18:39
Re: Tidying up offerings
May 21, 2010, 18:38
Resonox wrote:

However trees, shrubs and bushes are frequently removed from the land, my own bugbear is this new-ish hedge trimming fashion...not because it is destroying the hedge or anything sacred, but the nests and insects harbouring there(sacred in their own way as well as essential) are destroyed too, without so much as a by-your-leave or indeed complaint.
I daresay there will be a chorus of, "this tree was growing on sacred ground and had every right to be there and be venerated by all and sundry in whichever fashion they deemed suitable!!", and we will end up on the same track as another thread which more or less asked..."Who claims sacredness for a site/object/plant?"
Is it arrogance to say something isn't sacred or equally so to claim it is??

I wasn't going to comment in any depth on this discussion because like others have said it comes down to common sense and, to a certain extent, education. An example in my own case is that I have a collection of crystals but it was only when I read a book by wise wiccan Marian Green did I realise the harvesting of crystals was just further depleting the earth's fragile resources.

I totally agree about hedges both ancient and recent - the way they are often grubbed out is criminal - literally. Legislation was introduced in 1997 to protect them.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index