Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 14, 2009, 08:10
Branwen wrote:
Very rough guess, I only know of the Festival of the Serpent from folklore, and it fell the 15th to 17th before it was taken over by the banisher of the serpents - St Patrick.

What written evidence is there of this Festival of the Serpent? I'd like to know the source(s) of that bit of info.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 10:37
Branwen wrote:
You know Tiompan, its just been so much an accepted fact in paganism that Europe wide the Pleides divided the year this way, that I dunno which source it came from, its everywhere, folklore ties in too, especially those connected Samhain. Books mentioning the subject always say "ancient sources". I've a feeling it's part of the coligny calendar... my brain won't go that far back to where I first heard it but I will look it up.

I'm sure the Pleiades were noted etc but apart from the obvious precessional problems which would rule out any continuity i.e. what was seen in 3000 bc would bear no relation to 1000 ad ,they rise just after the sun and are next to impossible to see whereas when setting they would be perfectly clear .There is a possible connection with Coligny but don't think it's definite , also nebra and one I like of a bull with possibly 7 marks close to it's shoulder in one of the Franco /Iberian
caves . It appears to be quite easy to start mantras with no basis every area is full of them .
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 16:27
Dec 14, 2009, 16:25
Festival of the serpent was roman on the website I saw it on, but don't remember what it was and didn't save it as it wasn't of interest to me. I only remembered it cos its my birthday, in fact.

If Thom discounted the pleiades as an important calendar division, it would make us one of the few countries that didn't acknowledge such. I assume he just discounted them as megalithic alignments? I'm gonna shut up though as I keep mentioning stuff and it being wrong, which I have no problem being wrong, but would hate anyone to think I'marguing to be right, when really I just want to learn, which would include learning things I've accepted at face value for years were wrong. It's hard to tell what is right or wrong without asking though. Worth if I can avoid pissing people off with suchlike though, as it gets the brain going.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 17:42
Branwen wrote:
Festival of the serpent was roman on the website I saw it on, but don't remember what it was and didn't save it as it wasn't of interest to me. I only remembered it cos its my birthday, in fact.

If Thom discounted the pleiades as an important calendar division, it would make us one of the few countries that didn't acknowledge such. I assume he just discounted them as megalithic alignments? I'm gonna shut up though as I keep mentioning stuff and it being wrong, which I have no problem being wrong, but would hate anyone to think I'marguing to be right, when really I just want to learn, which would include learning things I've accepted at face value for years were wrong. It's hard to tell what is right or wrong without asking though. Worth if I can avoid pissing people off with suchlike though, as it gets the brain going.

Thom stuck mainly to solar and lunar stuff although he does mention stars usually if they were outwith the areas of the horizon where you don't see the sun or moon . But the problems due to making sure the site was at the right date to be seen i.e. the precession problem , means when a good date arrives for the site your calc could be all wrong .You certainly don't piss anybody off and please don't stop posting .
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 17:51
tiompan wrote:
You certainly don't piss anybody off and please don't stop posting .

Ditto.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 19:33
Branwen wrote:
I'm gonna shut up though as I keep mentioning stuff and it being wrong, which I have no problem being wrong, but would hate anyone to think I'marguing to be right, when really I just want to learn, which would include learning things I've accepted at face value for years were wrong. It's hard to tell what is right or wrong without asking though. Worth if I can avoid pissing people off with suchlike though, as it gets the brain going.

Branwen!! The only reason I haven't joined in the topic is because I wouldn't the f*ck know what I was talking about. It takes a fearless woman to take on Tiompan in this sort of discussion as he is something of a maestro on the subject.
I enjoy your posts, please don't go away.
tj
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 22:33
Dec 14, 2009, 22:31
I'm not taking Tiompan on, though, tjj.

When I have a question Tiompan is often the one that can be bothered answering me, even if I don't put the question very well, and I'm grateful for that. I don't care if an answer isn't what I hoped, being ignored and in ignorance would be worse. Or humoured.

In this case I have no position of knowledge to defend, or argument to give, apart from grasping at the straws of every obscure mention of every ancient but unsubstatiated festival I've ever heard of in the hope it might ring bells somewhere, which just fustrates people I guess. Sorry.

In this case, that isnt working. Turns out the answer to "what are the lost neolithic festivals mentioned on Ancient Lothian site" is "dunno, the chap didn't give enough information to know what he's referring to and the dates and locations aren't enough of a clue in themselves". The site in question is bursting with interesting stuff though, so I'll just have to wait, as he's adding stuff all the time since beginning the updating process.

As far as pleiades go, I'm always asking about them within other disciplines, not just this one, due to wealth of folklore about the nine/seven maidens. I do it with a lot of folklore. Seeing how stories originate interests me. Kicking around Weary Well stuff on here and getting other opinions and viewpoints gave me lots more ideas. Probably just newer and more numerous suppositions, but it's interesting to me. A lot of stuff fell into place as part of a whole by doing so with that thread, though the only good it did was to expand a folklore link I'd put on the TMA site. A contribution worth a millionth of a percent compared to the whole site, I guess.

Still. Lurk more, ask less, maybe. LOL. Doesn't pay to exasperate the people with the knowledge, who took pity, and answered...
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 22:42
Branwen wrote:
I'm not taking Tiompan on, though, tjj.

When I have a question Tiompan is often the one that can be bothered answering me, even if I don't put the question very well, and I'm grateful for that. I don't care if an answer isn't what I hoped, being ignored and in ignorance would be worse. Or humoured.

In this case I have no position of knowledge to defend, or argument to give, apart from grasping at the straws of every obscure mention of every ancient but unsubstatiated festival I've ever heard of in the hope it might ring bells somewhere, which just fustrates people I guess. Sorry.

In this case, that isnt working. Turns out the answer to "what are the lost neolithic festivals mentioned on Ancient Lothian site" is "dunno, the chap didn't give enough information to know what he's referring to and the dates and locations aren't enough of a clue in themselves". The site in question is bursting with interesting stuff though, so I'll just have to wait, as he's adding stuff all the time since beginning the updating process.

As far as pleiades go, I'm always asking about them within other disciplines, not just this one, due to wealth of folklore about the nine/seven maidens. I do it with a lot of folklore. Seeing how stories originate interests me. Kicking around Weary Well stuff on here and getting other opinions and viewpoints gave me lots more ideas. Probably just newer and more numerous suppositions, but it's interesting to me. A lot of stuff fell into place as part of a whole by doing so with that thread, though the only good it did was to expand a folklore link I'd put on the TMA site. A contribution worth a millionth of a percent compared to the whole site, I guess.

Still. Lurk more, ask less, maybe. LOL. Doesn't pay to exasperate the people with the knowledge, who took pity, and answered...

Branwen, you write really well and I've learnt a lot from your posts. I was being flippant in my language when I said 'taking on tiompan'. I don't know him other than reading what he posts, he comes across as knowledgeable, modest and avoids any of the 'silliness' that sometimes crops up on forums. My previous post was intended as a compliment to you both.
I've never quite understood the term 'lurk', can't see anything wrong with keeping quiet until you've got something to say.
best wishes
tj
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 15, 2009, 01:09
I kind of like the idea of lurking....

Tiompan's great. I used to have an english teacher at school who had me swithering between wanting to open his head and learn everything he knew and impressing him by being knowledgable without his help.

Look cool and learn nothing or look stupid and get enlightened syndrome.

Anonymity of the internet takes a lot out of the equation LOL.
scubi63
463 posts

Dec 16, 2009, 14:24
tiompan wrote:
If the pleiades were markers then precession would be a problem , but as both can be calculated from the more reliable solar /lunar cycles why should anyone bother ,with a the pleiades and how do we know they did ?

I was following this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk
during my Archy studies and found it interesting.

Something in me says there is a chance it could be fake as its provenance looks a little dodgy as it was taken out of its context by the dreaded MD's, however, Wiki says it is now accepted as real so thats good enough for me ;o)

However, taking at face value the disc does show a group of stars assumed to be the Pleiades. I can't think of any other group of stars in the Northern Hemisphere skies that look remotely like those on the disc (but I am no astronomer).

An interesting object nonetheless and maybe a pointer towards the significance of the Pleiades in prehistoric Europe.

:o)

Scubi
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index