Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 31, 2009, 21:56
Very kind, thank you. That will keep me going for a while!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Lost astrology
Jan 02, 2010, 11:24
Try the Swiss ephemeris ( http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swepha_e.htm ). I'm into swiss cameras and their ephemeris will be on a similar 'plane'. Accurate and concise. Venus in Aries traditionally is said to be in detriment because she rules the opposite sign of Libra. Saturn is in fall in Aries because he is exalted in the opposite sign of Libra. (Just too speedy for the both of them). Modified by contact and house position, of course! Doesn't astrology impel and not compel? Unless you've got a lot of Scorpio, I guess!
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2010, 15:36
Re: Lost astrology
Jan 02, 2010, 15:32
StoneGloves wrote:
Try the Swiss ephemeris ( http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swepha_e.htm ). I'm into swiss cameras and their ephemeris will be on a similar 'plane'. Accurate and concise. Venus in Aries traditionally is said to be in detriment because she rules the opposite sign of Libra. Saturn is in fall in Aries because he is exalted in the opposite sign of Libra. (Just too speedy for the both of them). Modified by contact and house position, of course! Doesn't astrology impel and not compel? Unless you've got a lot of Scorpio, I guess!

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm not going to spend any more time wondering what the lost festivals are, unless that website posts what alignment makes one think there is one, though. As to being impelled by astrology, I dunno. It's a bit like the Simpson's episode when they do an aptitude test and Bart'scomes out better than Lisa's, and for a while Bart becomes the good kid and Lisa the bad one.... depends how much importance you place on it. I place no importance on it, and it's regularly right about me anyway, though.

I was reading Peter Berresford Ellis writing about celtic astrology, what little there is. Shame more hasn't survived. Some people are trying to make the leap from telling the future by "cloud watching" or "neladoracht" with the cloud of the milky way - but I don't think we'll ever get a working astrology from any of that unless some of the untranslated irish manuscripts throw new light on the subject.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Lost astrology
Jan 02, 2010, 20:24
No, astrology was highly refined in the Victorian era, and later, up until the modern day. There's not much further it can go. Celtic astrology is unknown beyond the remnants of calendars, and there seems little point in speculating. (Sun sign aries!)
Branwen
824 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Jan 02, 2010, 22:20
http://cura.free.fr/xv/13ellis2.html
The Fabrication of Celtic Astrology by Peter Berresford Ellis.

I like this author, he puts himself inside the story of his research, and writes historical fiction, as well as history. Makes him prone to speculation which maybe goes a bit too far for some, though.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Lost Star Sign
Jan 03, 2010, 09:11
I've always been put off from the White Goddess by (a) its size and (b) the nits that thought it was great. Tree calendar - no. Flower almanac - probably. There is a myth that the zodiac was divided into thirteen signs, once upon a time, but it doesn't bear scrutiny. Something to do with a planet that broke up, to become the asteroid belt, with the extra sign between Libra and Scorpio, I think, or maybe Virgo and Libra.

There's a a good link on that obscure website you quote ( http://cura.free.fr/decem/06heath.html#Ref3 ) with some relevant observations. Of course, the archaeologists won't bother to consider it!
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Re: Lost Star Sign
Jan 03, 2010, 11:00
13th sign is Ophiuchus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus_%28astrology%29
As I was born on the 13th Dec it seems to be my star sign.
"Typical Ophiuchsian (sp?)..has total dis-belief in all Astrology" ;)
Jim.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 12:34
Hmm, I'd say that Sagittarians believe in truth and learning, which is just as daft. But Ophiucus isn't the one I'm thinking of. Fixed star is associated with the medical and healing professionals, probably.
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 03, 2010, 14:48
Jan 03, 2010, 14:18
Thanks, I hadn't followed any of the links from that page, I'll have a look at it. IT's perhaps archeao-astrology "as-wished-for" more than actual reality, to search for a lost star sign.

The chap says the metonic cycle was first used in 4th century, but must have been known to Stonehenge users, but the druids used the metonic cycle too. Read the whole thing though, and no mention of the missing star sign, did you post the right link or am I too dense to make a connection?

The tree/ogam calendar is a total fabrication, tree ogam, and all the other ones like flower ogam, river ogam, etc.. are mnemonics for teaching the language the Berla Egair naSaer, Sacred Language.

I would of thought Archeo-astrology would be of vital importance to archaeologists, Stonegloves, part of that has to be speculation. The multi discipline approach has a tried and tested success rate, after all.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 16:58
"I would of thought Archeo-astrology would be of vital importance to archaeologists, Stonegloves,"

No, they just laugh. (To the sound of a sad violin). And then back their 4-wd over your toes, for good measure. A scorpio ascendant helps but,

There must have been some system of writing or recording information, at the time of the stone monuments. It wasn't all oral lore. I'll have a look for Robin Heath's other stuff (Google). The fragment he has about the siting of Stonehenge is very important and is a far-reaching concept - if true rather than just coincidental.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index