Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 21, 2009, 13:57
Branwen wrote:

I assume the central star of the sylised cluster is Maia. Are the three stars next to the crescent the other two of the nine brighter stars with Atlas, or Mars, Mercury, and Venus. Aren't they in the sky when the crescent moon passes through the pleiades too? I dunno enpough about astronomy to remember if they are with praesepe too though. Are there similar groupings near the rockart clusters said to represent the pleiades?

Thanks ,I'll check the star relationship with the crescent etc . Considering the huge amount of cup amrks you would imagine that it would be easy to find lots of fortuitous oe even intentioal shapes resembling constellations etc but they are very rare .The rock art rosettes resemble the Nebra shape rahtetr than the cluster usually they would be in association with other motifs E.g. Loughcrew cairn T stone C3 but the Corredy example was the only motif on the rock .
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 14:03
http://www.lawpundit.com/blog/nebraskyenglish.png
Found this, which is labelled nebra sky in 1699 b.c.e

The pleiades are shown as a symmetrical cluster in other ancient art of other cultures, aren't they? Achilles Shield maybe?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 14:22
Branwen wrote:
http://www.lawpundit.com/blog/nebraskyenglish.png
Found this, which is labelled nebra sky in 1699 b.c.e

The pleiades are shown as a symmetrical cluster in other ancient art of other cultures, aren't they? Achilles Shield maybe?

There is only a wee blue mark for them ,btw the bloke who's site that is from has some very odd dishes that require more salt than all the UK motorways combined .
If they haven't changed , the problem could be interpretation of seven points that don't represent the cluster or , are the artists are just being lazy which seems a bit odd ,would they do the same for Orion or the Plough .?
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 14:33
I'm deliberately picking images off google images without looking at the sites they came from so as not to be dragged down by the whole alien homeland/photon enlightenment/galactic centre stuff... you could spend weeks wading the disinformation pile.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 14:43
Branwen wrote:
I'm deliberately picking images off google images without looking at the sites they came from so as not to be dragged down by the whole alien homeland/photon enlightenment/galactic centre stuff... you could spend weeks wading the disinformation pile.

lol , oh yes , and there's more .you need goggles when googling that stuff .
scubi63
463 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 19:30
tiompan wrote:
Branwen wrote:
Praesepe in Cancer isn't any more like the seven stars on the Nebra sky disc than the Pleiades in Taurus.

Agree , did somebody suggest it/them as opposed to the other P cluster ?,Alun ?

In my opinion I don't think the stars in the Praesepe (Bee Hive) cluster are individually visible to the naked eye and normally requires binoculars to see them as such...Therefore I don't think they are a contender.

The number of stars visible (and therefore their arrangment) in the Seven Sisters can vary from person to person and with age but also with clarity of skys.
I can remember seeing as many as 10 when I was young lad, now I only see 6 in the light polluted skys of Chippenham.... but apparently up to 14 can be see in the right conditions.
It is know that the star cluster is dynamic in that it is expanding and newer stars are being added, although I am not sure it would have been that different in the BA, but who knows?

:o)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 20:20
Just slipping this in, though a little off topic.

This month we have a Blue Moon on 31st December.

http://stardate.org/nightsky/almanac/

June
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 22, 2009, 14:55
tiompan wrote:

Not to mention wellies and a peg for the nose...

Tony Robinson decoding Dan Brown's latest claims should be worth a glance. (climate change impact on past cultures series he's been doing this month have been interesting) I seem to remember that fella Brown pointing out he wrote fiction when people started taking his first books too seriously, now he's embraced the disinformation guru lifestyle...

I thought I had good vision and a nice dark spot as a kid, as I used to be able to see nine from the top of Rubers Law in the borders. Haven't ever seen as many as 14 though. I used to see a woman lying on her back in the arrangement, not a flower. Some artefacts just have them as two rows of stars, and others have the flower shape.

I wonder if there is something more than just the seasonal aspect at work, maybe something in the physiology of all human brains or psychologies that makes these stars capture the imagination. As a kid I had no interest in astrology at first, but this group drew the eye for me all the time.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 22, 2009, 15:31
Branwen wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Not to mention wellies and a peg for the nose...

Tony Robinson decoding Dan Brown's latest claims should be worth a glance. (climate change impact on past cultures series he's been doing this month have been interesting) I seem to remember that fella Brown pointing out he wrote fiction when people started taking his first books too seriously, now he's embraced the disinformation guru lifestyle...

I thought I had good vision and a nice dark spot as a kid, as I used to be able to see nine from the top of Rubers Law in the borders. Haven't ever seen as many as 14 though. I used to see a woman lying on her back in the arrangement, not a flower. Some artefacts just have them as two rows of stars, and others have the flower shape.

I wonder if there is something more than just the seasonal aspect at work, maybe something in the physiology of all human brains or psychologies that makes these stars capture the imagination. As a kid I had no interest in astrology at first, but this group drew the eye for me all the time.

Pattern seeking , I reckon . We don't like lack of order or meaninglessness (i'm trying to avoid the R word which has become meaningless in it's usage and never was strictly true ) .Some cultures see the shapes in the gaps rather than the dots e.g. The Emu (I think ) in Oz .
Didn't know that about Danny boy , a good antidote was still Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's Illuminatis trilogy ,dunno if it has stood the test of time though . I assume the group is the Pleiades ?
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 22, 2009, 16:17
I see religion as a tool of spirituality, some need the tool, some don't. Sometimes its a crutch sometimes its a power drill.

I dunno if its information or disinformation, cos I can't remember where I saw it now, but I read that periods of intense religious fervour occur when there is high sunspot activity. You're right about the pattern thing, I see non-existant faces and suchlike shapes in wallpaper and cracks in the ceiling. The pattern itself is meaningless, I guess, its only from certain angles it's seen anyway. On the nebra disc the experts used more than just the fact of it being seven stars to decide it was the pleiades, one assumes.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index