Stonehenge »
The Blue Stone Enigma

153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jul 03, 2009, 07:34
"and finally got to see those interesting "alternative" slopes; very strange - I'm no geologist, but I can't see any event that would cause those sort of effects"

Spooky aren't they? And spookily well placed, if natural, for anyone that happened to want to haul a 40 ton stone along that very route.

What with that and your "lesser slope a mile or so eastward of Redhorn Hill" it makes the "couldn't be done because of Redhorn Hill" speculations look groundless.

There's a strange synchronicity about the sarsen and bluestone routes. In both cases some have suggested they must have already have been close by (through glaciation) as human transport would be so impossibly difficult. I dunno if they were but I don't see human transport was impossibly difficult in either case.

And there's another startling illogicality. Some who say the bluestones couldn't have been brought by people nevertheless accept the sarsens could have been. But if the sarsens were hauled, that implies the bluestones were a piece of cake - one eighth of the weight and no Redhorn Hill.

I think if you multiply land distance x total weight the two feats are pretty similar. But in terms of the practicalities, bringing the sarsens twenty miles was far more impressive. Yet the internet is full of how wondrous it is that the bluestones came from Wales and there's far less about the real miraculous achievement. It's not fair. The real heroes aren't getting the credit they're owed. ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index