The Blue Stone Enigma

153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jun 25, 2009, 07:41
I remember that the overwhelming conclusion from the Stonehengineers experiments being that the stones - wherever they are from, and however far they needed to be moved - would be done so using any means necessary...

So, if a boat were the easiest route for a part of the journey, they'd stick it on a boat! If dragging it were the easiest way, lash a few ropes to it and drag it! If it needed to be rowed, get some levers under it!

I've seen some interesting theories (Margaret Curtis' garden in Callanish is a bit of a museum to stone-moving methods!) and all seem, to me, to be perfectly feasible at some point in a stone's journey.

The glaciation theory isn't a new one, and is just as valid as any other. The fun of it all is that - as has been said to death - we really don't know!

I don't know how many books have been written on the subject - especially about bloody Stonehenge! ;) - by archaeologists, geologists, engineers, carpenters, photographers, etc, etc... but you can be sure of one thing - there'll be more where they came from! Which is no bad thing! And no doubt there'll be even more theories as time goes on! And so there should be.

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index