153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jun 24, 2009, 06:29
Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jun 24, 2009, 06:26
I have'nt read the book, but do have in my possession Brian John's earlier book on Pembrokeshire (1976) in which a page and a quarter gives the Stonehenge glaciation theory, and I don't believe he's changed his very 'fixed' notion from then! Try reading Castleden's 'The Making of Stonehenge' for a measured overview of the theories...
Wainwright and Darvill argue the stones are transported, and I'm with them. One of the first things that hit you about the landscape round the Preseli mountains is the striking outcrop of Carn Meyn, also Foel Drygarn with its beautifully fissured vertical stones - almost made for standing stones...
Subjectively if you were to sit by one of those naturally shaped carns/longbarrows that dot the landscape round Carn Meyn you would understand 'why' prehistoric people could even contemplate the moving of such stones, Stonehenge is one sacred landscape, but this Welsh site is definitely another. The mechanical act of moving stones is the one most argued theory on this board but from a purely female view, its all down hill from the mountain till you reach that marvellous wetland estuary of the Cleddau rivers and Blacklands Mill(which is often mentioned as the place they took the stones from) from thence you float the stones round up to that other great estuary - the Severn....
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index