The Blue Stone Enigma

153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jun 24, 2009, 09:44
I've got a really interesting book - published in Norwegian in 1957, and translated into English in 1958 - about Easter Island.

I need to re-read it, but from memory it seems to focus largely - as well, obviously, as the "why"s and "wherefore"s - on the "how"s!

The author spent a lot of time with the people of the island, who maintain (at the time of writing, at least) strong links with their heritage - namely the creation, transportation and erection of the enormous stone heads.

There are a lot of colour photos interspersed throughout, and a lot of them are concerned with the pulling (ropes and rollers) and erection (levers and platforms).

A part I remember is that it took team of 12 people 18 days to erect one of the heads from ground level onto a platform. This was done using levers, as per the Stonehengineers experiments, and platforms, of a sort (the "platforms" in this case were made from piling smaller stones beneath the raised head, then lowering it, readjusting the levers, lifting, piling stones, lowering, and so on). When the head was raised sufficiently, they were gradually removed from the front end so it became a slope that the head slowly lowered down until it was upright. It seems a long time to my (fairly) modern mind, but then I guess there may have been more people involved, and maybe erecting more than one head at a time. Maybe. So it may have taken a lot less time, or there may have been more work done in that timespan.

The author wrote that the people had continued the traditions of transporting large objects pretty well unchanged from their ancestors. We all know it's possible.

It's good to get all these theories into the mixing pot, but as none of us can remember the Neolithic times particularly well, then one scientifically and archaeologically provable theory is as good as another! ;)

To my mind, it's perfectly feasible that the bluestones were transported all the way from Wales. We know nothing of the reasons if this were the case, but if it IS the case, then there must have been some damn good reason for it! :)

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index