Stonehenge »
The Blue Stone Enigma

153 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jun 25, 2009, 08:35
I remember that the overwhelming conclusion from the Stonehengineers experiments being that the stones - wherever they are from, and however far they needed to be moved - would be done so using any means necessary...

... and easiest, if they acted like normal folks do everywhere. Seeing things in those terms only gets complicated by occasional speculations that they may have done things the hard way "for ritual purposes".

The reason I'm a believer in dragging (in conjunction with the application of levers where necessary) as the lead possibility in the human transport half of the explanation was the sheer ruddy raw power that was displayed for a few seconds at Foamhenge. It was a total shock and no-one expected it. Nearly all the theorising and experiments have assumed that rollers were needed but it seemed pretty obvious to a lot of us that they simply weren't - something to do with the fact that a stone weighing 3 or 4 times more than a bluestone stone got pulled off the rollers and carried on uphill regardless.

So on the basis of that simple observation I don't see why a large number of bluestones couldn't have been shifted from the coast to Salisbury Plain by means of stones dragged along pathways (maybe more than one per team, the ergonomics seem inarguable) in a couple of days. If you had the manpower you'd just do it wouldn't you - and they'd be erected before anyone had even built a quay down by the river.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index