Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jul 02, 2009, 23:24
goffik wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Aye, heroic, as well as all the work he did analysing the various routes and thoughts of various archaeos (Atkinson, Burl, Chippindale, KDC All Cannings Cross Fieldwork and Pitts) and coming up with his "most likely" hybrid route.

(A lot of it is still on the Stonehengineers forum of HA if you care to look J.)

You know, I'd forgotten about the Stonehengineers forum! That's several hours of my life I'm not going to get back then! ;)

Yeah - I do remember a lot of chat about various archaeo's theories regarding the routes, etc... Seems such a long time ago! Happy days... :)

G x

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for your kind words. Like Goff, I had forgotten about the SH Forum pages; I've had a squizz, but I'm not convinced that that is the "Final FINAL" version. I know that SOMEWHERE (probably on a very dodgy local 40Mb hard drive (it was big back then!)) is the final "mothedit" version.

With regard to my hybrid sarsen route, we were up at Avebury on Solstice Weekend (50th Birthday the week before) and I took the opportunity of "scouting" the slope up Redhorn Hill at least as far as the northerly edge of Tommy's playground and finally got to see those interesting "alternative" slopes; very strange - I'm no geologist, but I can't see any event that would cause those sort of effects.

However, I'm of the opinion that if they HAD come across the Vale of Pewsey, then they would have used the lesser slope a mile or so eastward of Redhorn Hill; I saw it from the road, and I think it's around SU 078 555. Next time, avec camera....

From the top of the area around Redhorn Hill, Adam's Grave is plainly visible, and only the minor width of the Avon would have presented any problem to the luggers, lifters and shifters. Of course, it could all be a lot of auroch's....

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index