To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Updates????
Dec 03, 2007, 13:43
well if you read the updates you'll know that EH left the site on 14th Nov.
From here on it is an engineering/conservation project to remove ALL foreign material and backfill with chalk.
What is there to say in an update?
"We took another metal support out today and filled the void with chalk" X80

On a photography forum I have been on for years there is quite a lot of decent discussion about Silbury with none of the bickering found on this one. (lots of photos too)
No one here seems to have noticed that a Tooth was found on the last day of excavations, elsewhere this is being discussed with interest.
Is it from King Zil or from a miner from the 1960's or is it just an animals....
No doubt EH will release details when it has been analysed properly.

PeteG
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Updates????
Dec 03, 2007, 14:22
Pete,

Not everyone is bickering. I for one am just interested in the whole thing. It's a shame that some of the discussions have got personal, but I guess that's simply because people feel strongly about the subjects in question. And to me at least, some of the discussions have been interesting and informative.

I had noticed the tooth thing too - presumably at this stage no-one can say if the gnasher is important or not. Anyone for ritual dentistry?!

Squid
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: You misunderstand
Dec 03, 2007, 15:43
Let's just say 'one's expectations are reduced' - but we keep on posting ...

I've this one for Rhubarb and Custard (and that makes me Prunes) - The Rotherwas Ribbon ( http://rotherwasribbon.com/ ). I think they're hoping to build a road over or across it (which is both diabolical - not literally - and an order of magnitude less than what's happening at Silbury).

I do believe that the correctest response, to the hill, is to gaze on it from a distance but I don't want to be dogmatic. Can anyone find a link to a picture of the Palm Sunday Processions, of the past, on this or another hill? Thanks.

Diseased ash trees used to be felled - twenty years ago - but now are cut back, 'houked out', given a feed and left to resprout. The rotten bits are habitat for mucho!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Dec 03, 2007, 15:45
p.s. And it's King Sol ...
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2007, 15:52
Dec 03, 2007, 15:51
>can anyone find a link to a picture of the Palm Sunday Processions

um that died out a long time before the invention of photography....
soz
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Dec 03, 2007, 15:54
earliest report from John Aubrey in 1649 was 'King Zil'
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Dec 03, 2007, 15:56
if its human and not recent then it will be very important.
The only Human remains found in the primary mound.
An animals tooth is also interesting.
PeteG
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Dec 04, 2007, 09:20
Pete G wrote:
On a photography forum I have been on for years there is quite a lot of decent discussion about Silbury with none of the bickering found on this one. (lots of photos too)

Yeah, but I bet they know little of it's history and of EH's history of neglect and mishandling of the situation, just that "it looks nice in a certain light". ;o)

And I bet they bicker about other things. Like the size of a lens, or the right filter to use. It's all relative.

Pete G wrote:
No doubt EH will release details when it has been analysed properly.

We'll see. Be nice to hear something.

G x
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Dec 04, 2007, 10:44
A human tooth found?

http://www.people.co.uk/news/news/tm_method=full&objectid=19135302&siteid=93463-name_page.html

Good grief!
Jim.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2007, 13:43
Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Dec 04, 2007, 12:57
jimit wrote:

Well, unless I'm missing something Jim, poor Suzy Lamplugh vanished in 1986 - way after the Atkinson/BBC tunnel was 'sealed'. The tooth (if indeed there is a tooth) can only be either Neolithic or one that once belonged to a tunneller.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index