Silbury Hill »
To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Nov 24, 2007, 08:39
I have to admit I'm a fence-sitter at the moment, but it's good to see people so passionate about sites like this.

Why wouldn't they be? This is arguably our most spectacular prehistoric asset and it's in severe trouble. It sounds a tad patronising to express pleasure that the public are passionate about it.

I can't see what fence there is for anyone to be sitting on. Either the hill is theirs and the money is theirs and they have a perfect right to make crucial decisions involving its welfare and the removal of many extra cubic metres of it without fully explaining it all.... or the reverse is true.

So what do you think - is the information flow commensurate with the situation? Are monthly updates an adequate amount of information to be offering the public about how the public's money is being spent on the public's hill? Bear in mind the EH Chief Executive wrote to me several years ago acknowledging the information flow on Silbury had NOT been adequate and assuring me he would do something about it.
Etton
9 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 14:21
Littlestone - just what I thought I saw from the diagrams.

Nigelswift - you seem to be getting a bit angry with me! I'm not being patronising, as far I can gather we're all the public here. I don't know about you, but I think of all the people I know about 3 are even aware Silbury exists. I don't think it's patronising to find it nice that not everyone in this country is ignorant of the historic landscape other than Stonehenge.

And no, I don't think it's right to go from weekly to monthly updates in the middle of it, but to be honest you all seem a bit more involved in this than me and I'd rather step away now than be drawn into a discussion where I'm treated with hostility.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 15:17
And no, I don't think it's right to go from weekly to monthly updates in the middle of it

Don't you? A little different from your opening statement, eh? "why would there be weekly updates? All the updates I saw were clearly written by archaeologists. I'm sure the engineers have better things to do than take hours out of their already probably very long working days to write about the backfilling process?"

to be honest you all seem a bit more involved in this than me

Oh, to be honest none of us thought that of you from the start.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 15:59
"Oh, to be honest none of us thought that of you from the start"

Who is this 'us' Nigel - a club perhaps, with some obscure initiation. Etton has been perfectly courteous and respectful to the obvious dedication and total commitment of the main contributers to this thread, namely yourself and Littlestone.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 16:16
Sorry, I should have said "some of us".
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 16:49
THE FOLLOWING INFO WAS PASSED TO ME FROM THE LADS WORKING AT / INSIDE SILBURY HILL:

"The Cable will be removed with a winch when the hill is considered stable by EH moniters.

"The time capsule was scrapped after Eric Lubbock (Lord Avebury) requested it and for no other reason. Certainly not because of a few squabbling nuts on Action forums.

"The concrete portal and lintel will also be removed because there is another time capsule behind the lintel left by the 1968 miners. The right upright support is also damaged and deemed unsafe so the whole lot will go into the AK Museum at Avebury.

"The film discovered at the back of the tunnel with 3 rolls of film inside is very badly damaged and probably unrecoverable as a film although a few frames have already been saved."
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 17:14
Thought you'd left the tea-room Paulus, re: your comment at http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=44274&message=559126 last paragraph where you say -

"Your (StoneGlove's)* remarks and comparison's are dumb to say the least. Buy hey - your another one of the whinging, moaning crew. If it aint some north-south crap, it's probably genetic. In the meantime, we'll keep to exploring sites in the field and leave you ranters to your little computers or tea-rooms."

Just can't resist coming back for another snipe can you Paulus. And does that mean you've been following this thread all along? How flattering ;-) But wait for more bad language and more sticks and stones everyone... Paulus is very good at that, and very bad at engaging in rational debate - which I believe is what these forums are all about.

* Italics mine.
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 17:28
nice one paul

thanks

t
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 18:33
Littlestone wrote:

Just can't resist coming back for another snipe can you Paulus. And does that mean you've been following this thread all along? How flattering ;-) But wait for more bad language and more sticks and stones everyone... Paulus is very good at that, and very bad at engaging in rational debate - which I believe is what these forums are all about.

Eh? ...
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Nov 24, 2007, 18:38
tuesday wrote:
nice one paul

thanks

t

Cheers Tuesday. If owt else arises, I'll let y' know.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index