3506 posts

Re: Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 09, 2007, 21:02
and where did you hear that?
wd
5 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 21:15
The hill is alive. Oh no wait, I'm getting confused with the sound of music again.

What I want to know is why aren't English Heritage and more importantly on a personal moral scale, all those people who've actually seen it, telling the press, telling everyone that might possibly listen??
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 22:20
What I want to know is why aren't English Heritage and more importantly on a personal moral scale, all those people who've actually seen it, telling the press, telling everyone that might possibly listen??

Wouldn't hold your breath on an answer to that one wd. With the exception of the Skanska guys and girls (for whom I have the greatest respect as the only people in there who know what they're doing and are risking their necks doing it) the rest are just bungling plonkers with their own past, present and future reputations to protect.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 22:38
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.00100100100s006005
wd
5 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 23:30
http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/docs/rst/Sect3/mshavalanche.jpg
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 01:49
god you two! - you're like f***ing george and mildred!

why won't the world listen to littlestone?!?!

er, i can give you a 1000, 000 reasons...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 06:52
Do take your needle out of the crack tuesday. Better still, why not actually try addressing some of the issues here instead of just moaning about the views of others.

For example, what is your opinion on the 1960s Atkinson/BBC tunnelling program at Silbury? Were English Heritage correct in thinking (until quite recently) that a 21st century 'time capsule' inserted into this Neolithic structure was appropriate when the owner of the structure (Lord Avebury), conservators and those belonging to different spiritual beliefs, were vehemently apposed to the idea? And what do you think of English Heritage's present reluctance to so far confirm that the 1960s metal Atkinson/BBC door and concrete lintel will be removed on completion of conservation work at Silbury?

I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested to hear your views on these issues.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 09:00
Tuesday grew up in Bolton - a quarter mile from a huge unrecognised Long Barrow. On the moors there's a wacking great round hill, called Brown Lowe, which shares many characteristics with Sil Hill. The spring, associated monuments, the shape and its reputation of being made by human intervention. It gets no attention whatsoever nowadays and is classed a drumlin.

In the late summer I made a few 'video mashups'. They're videos from one source and music from another. The one named Car-Car, on this page ( http://www.davidaspinall.co.uk/disperse/disperse.htm ), has a powerful shot of Silbury Hill, near the beginning. The vids are for those 'initiates' with broadband connections and big speakers and are intended as comedy. Fans of Marianne Faithfull, of a certain age, might enjoy 'The Mummy Walks'.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 14:20
Hello Winterbourne Defenders

Speaking as someone who lives in a town near to Avebury, Silbury, the Winterbourne, Swallowhead Spring, WKLB and all the other magical (and sacred) places in that part of Wiltshire - I consider myself privileged to, on a day off, be able to take the 49 bus from Swindon to Avebury and wander through this wonderful land-scape.

I don't know anything about you and your name seems to be new to this forum - however, it seems to indicate the plural (as in Heritage Action). I just wonder, and it is only a thought, whether the constant hectoring of English Heritage is felt to be negative and counter-productive by others who read this forum.

Effective campaigning is not necessarily about insulting the other side and I do not recall Lord Avebury using language such as 'plonkers' in the heart-felt and erudite letter he wrote against the ill-advised time capsule project.

Lots of people who leither live near Silbury or who just visit the area a few times a year, care passionately about how it is conserved and protected. It would be really good if the campaigning work of Heritage Action could be bit more inclusive and little less elitist - becuse that is how it sometimes comes across.

I think at the end of the day we are all on the same side.

with best wishes
June Jackson (tjj)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 14:37
it seems to indicate the plural (as in Heritage Action)

Point of info:
Wd and Winterbourne Defenders aren't connected with Heritage Action.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index