Silbury Hill »
To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Dec 04, 2007, 19:18
Hey, just cos i havent contributed to this thread doesnt mean i havent read any of it. Earlier on Pete dissed someone in an unsavoury manner, he has since erased it....then again he was being a 'twat' so i merely said so. Whats wrong with that. I havent the time to argue. I used to contribute to the TMA quite a lot (since 2000) but i dont much these days cos i dont have access to a pc that much, so sorry for any offence but i was merely pointing something out.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Nothing ever changes
Dec 04, 2007, 20:09
Oh my God.

Turn your back for five minutes (months) and what's new?

Nothing!

Same old chuckle chums irrational rant (and abuse).
Same old Goffy smart ass remarks.
Same old same old zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Pete G, tuesday and Paulus (and other normal people). You really are wasting your time bothering to engage with these prats.

See you in five months folks.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2007, 20:13
Re: Updates????
Dec 04, 2007, 20:10
Alright, Paulus - I'll not get involved in this one. You're at your happiest when you're winding foums up! :) You and yer mates do a fine old job over on the Portal!

I see your mate has turned up as well! Oh, this is going to be one long and tedious bitch-fest! I'll come back in a few days and see what words of wisdom you and your mates can muster up.

BTW - "Goof" - hilarious! :D Always hilarious...

G x
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2007, 21:06
Re: What????
Dec 04, 2007, 20:11
hey pete (and Paulus)

I, for one, am interested in information/theories about the hill from people who have actually been into the 'heart of the matter'
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2007, 20:43
To the Heart of the Matter
Dec 04, 2007, 20:29
However, shouldn't the release of information into the public domain be something that the English Heritage publicity/marketing/press department be handling? And that they've patently failed to do, hence the complaints and moans here - because despite any protestations to the contrary, it's become apparent that *someone* from EH is reading (or has been fed information from) TMA forums.

Precisely. We and others objected to a 21st century time capsule in Silbury and eventually that folly was quietly shelved by English Heritage - no explanation for the U-turn, just a passing reference in one of their infrequent and totally inadequate 'updates'. I think that speaks volumes of the sort of institutional protectionism we're dealing with here. We ask for the removal of the Atkinson/BBC door and lintel and what do we get? Zilch from English Heritage, just unsubstantiated rumours from private individuals. Now we hear of a tooth being found in the structure - a find not reported by English Heritage but mentioned by a private individual on a private website!*

If a tooth has been found at a, ".. highly significant position within the hill." this is possibly a very, very important find indeed. Why has English Heritage not said anything about it?

* http://www.eternalidol.com/
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Nothing ever changes
Dec 04, 2007, 20:42
Wrong. So wrong.

Yes, questions are still being asked.
Yes, answers are not forthcoming.

No change there.

What has changed is the attack plan. Ridicule is now being used (chuckle brothers etc) to try to discredit what are perfectly natural questions to ask.

This thread *is* tiresome, and could be brought to a halt quite easily, by EH actually answering some of the questions being asked and calling a halt to the apparent secrecy.

Questions to EH's 'Ask the Experts' have been brushed aside and ignored. As Littlestone has said elsewhere in this thread, the only 'answers' that have been forthcoming have been leaked, or have just happened with no announcement because those in a position of responsiblity for what's going on seem to be afraid of losing face, or damaging their professional reputations. Big news folks: hiding behind an apparent veil of secrecy isn't enhancing your reputations!
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Re: Updates????
Dec 04, 2007, 20:55
goffik wrote:
Alright, Paulus - I'll not get involved in this one. You're at your happiest when you're winding foums up! :) You and yer mates do a fine old job over on the Portal!

Utterly untrue Goff. I'd much prefer to have level-headed conversations on forums; but learned long back that aint the way forums go. They become peopled with egos, more egos, idiots and point-scorers. Then, if I join in and act the same, I get told off. I think you'll find that I'm just better at acting that way than other folk who seem to be like that permanently.

goffik wrote:
I see your mate has turned up as well! Oh, this is going to be one long and tedious bitch-fest!

Not too sure who you mean there. Be assured, I'm very capable of speaking for misself: be it speaking bollox, or being helpful. The bollox-bit tends to emerge only when I'm speaking to the idiots. And they tend to dominate TMA-forums these days.

goffik wrote:
I'll come back in a few days and see what words of wisdom you and your mates can muster up.

Wisdom? In here? You're having a laugh!

Glad you liked the Goof BTW. Twas actually a typing error. Soz...

Cheers - Paulus
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Dec 04, 2007, 21:08
Hi Ocifant -

ocifant wrote:
...Ridicule is now being used (chuckle brothers etc) to try to discredit what are perfectly natural questions to ask.

I think you'll find that the same methodology is constantly used by LittleOne, etc, as well. Or izzit OK for some to be that way, and others not? Honest question.

If only these people had a different approach, they'd find better responses came back to them. For example: the recently discovered 'tooth' in Silbury was told to me just after it's discovery inside Silbury - and I don't even have that much interest in the place!!! So one would surely ask themselves: how can someone with little interest in the place, and certainly no direct involvement with Silbury at all, gain such 'privvy' info?

Simple: talk with people properly! Some people don't actually seem to realise this basic missing-link in their psychology. What's stranger is that when you point it out to them, they start shouting, ridiculing, acting like tits, and then have the audacity to expect folk to take 'em seriously! Seems like mummy and daddy never paid the right attention to such people when they were kids...and they're still finding other folk won't do it either...

Lessons anyone? I didn't think so...
starfury
18 posts

Dec 04, 2007, 21:12
It'd be nice to know if anything else had been found apart from the tooth?

Andy....
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Dec 04, 2007, 21:30
I'm not going to get into a "who's right and who's wrong" argument with you. Life's too short.

However, last time I looked, English Heritage was a public body, funded by the taxpayer. As a taxpayer, I (and I get the feeling I'm not alone here :-)) feel I have a right to be appraised of certain important information about what's been going on over the last few months, and more importantly, answers to questions that I've been invited (via their website) to ask.

I'm not fortunate to be local enough to pop along and have a chat whenever I feel like it, unlike some here. So I ask on the website, and so far have been largely ignored or palmed off with irrelevant marketing speak.

What I've seen has been issues raised here about certain decisions, which have apparently been strongly supported by EH (eg the Time Capsule farce) and ridiculed by their supporters, yet which have been quietly reversed once a fuss was made. That's no way to run a public body, and if I'm wrong for pointing that out, then so be it. Luckily, we still live in a country with a modicum of the right to free speech, so I'll speak out about poor management of public bodies like EH.

BTW, I have nothing but respect for the grunts at the coalface - you wouldn't get me in there in such dangerous conditions. Frankly I think you'd have to be mad to even think about going inside the hill, but I'm grateful they did, and I'd like to read about what they found. It's the decision makers I'm critical of here.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index