Silbury Hill »
To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Etton
9 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Nov 24, 2007, 20:42
Nigelswift - I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer an explanation for it without having to agree that monthly updates are entirely satisfactory. I think you're being a little bit harsh. I also don't quite understand your last comment? You seem to have a lot invested in this project.

I'm sorry that my comments seem to have sparked some kind of in-fighting between you, although it appears from Littlestone's comments this isn't unusual.

I didn't come to this forum to fight, although it appears to be ubiquitous across forums. I signed up because I used to have more than a passing interest in archaeology and thought it would be nice to have a discussion with people about Silbury.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2007, 23:26
Nov 24, 2007, 21:48
I didn't come to this forum to fight, although it appears to be ubiquitous across forums. I signed up because I used to have more than a passing interest in archaeology and thought it would be nice to have a discussion with people about Silbury.

You'll certainly have a discussion about Silbury here Etton!

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the Silbury debate myself but Nigel and a few others have been involved in campaigning for the structure's proper conservation for many years. There's been a lot of debate, misinformation and no information about what goes on behind the scenes at Silbury and it's all really very sad and unavoidable actually. Whatever some may say on this thread, and elsewhere, forums like this can and do make a difference to 'official' policy and for that reason, if for no other, it's worth hammering our concerns home. It's also worth adding that some of those concerns do go out to the wider public (via Google alerts for example) and are picked up and read by those both in the national and international community.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 25, 2007, 08:48
Hi Paulus,

Thank you very much for the information you have posted.
I am very much a 'Johnny Come Lately' to this forum (as wasn't on-line until earlier this year) but became deeply interested in the Avebury/Silbury landscape quite a while ago when I moved to a town nearby. I am not therefore qualified to pass any comment on this on-going 'Silbury Debate' but have asked the occasional question.

If the information you have posted comes from an authentic source (and there is no reason to doubt that it does) then it is excellent news:

"The Cable will be removed with a winch when the hill is considered stable by EH monitors" is really good to hear because I felt that surely cables hanging around within the internal structure of Silbury must be on a par with time capsules to say the least.

Also excellent news about the concrete portal and lintel being removed to the AK museum. Lets hope these actions, along with the back-filling are completed effectively, efficiently and as swiftly as possible and that Silbury can rest again in the misty downland landscape which, to my eyes, is very different to any other part of the country.

best wishes
tjj
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Nov 25, 2007, 15:51
Hi TJJ -

tjj wrote:
I am not therefore qualified to pass any comment on this on-going 'Silbury Debate' but have asked the occasional question.

Please don't think like that. There are some folk here who think far too much above themselves about some of the issues they talk, nay deride others for, and only get their voices on screen cos they've got bigger mouths than others. Humility is a lacking for some, but I value it highly. (though there are other ingredients we each possess which, when needs must, must sometimes be called to the surface!)

tjj wrote:
If the information you have posted comes from an authentic source (and there is no reason to doubt that it does) then it is excellent news

Straight from the heart of the hill, so to speak.

tjj wrote:
Also excellent news about the concrete portal and lintel being removed to the AK museum. Lets hope these actions, along with the back-filling are completed effectively, efficiently and as swiftly as possible and that Silbury can rest again in the misty downland landscape which, to my eyes, is very different to any other part of the country.

Yeah, it's good news. I'll post some more news info in a bit (gotta watch mi football first!), but think I'll start a new thread on the issue, highlighting the updates as they come to me, whether daily or otherwise. Then if the others want to argue, we can let them do it here on this thread, or amongst themselves.

Cheers - Paul
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 25, 2007, 16:45
...but think I'll start a new thread on the issue, highlighting the updates as they come to me, whether daily or otherwise.

Look forward to seeing your thread Paulus - any info, from whatever source (as long as it's correct), is valuable.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 25, 2007, 16:59
"Yeah, it's good news"

Any news on Silbury is good news Paulus - look forward to your thread ;)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 26, 2007, 13:44
All good news. And nothing to do with anything anyone said on here, oh no indeed. No way. Well done EH for doing the right thing. Even after suggesting you were going to do the wrong thing. ;o)

Still - whatever the reasons - good!

Cheers for the update, Paulus.

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

A Puzzle.
Nov 28, 2007, 12:36
Here's a real puzzle from the last Update:

"Archaeological work at Silbury Hill was successfully completed on Tueday 13th November."

How can that be, when work is still going on and the removal of the steelwork is bound to cause disruption and reveal fresh surfaces?

Are there not any archaeologists still constantly in there documenting everything?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: A Puzzle.
Nov 28, 2007, 14:08
...the removal of the steelwork is bound to cause disruption and reveal fresh surfaces?

Assuming that the steelwork is going to be removed...
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Nov 28, 2007, 16:50
Nearly forgot to post this bit of info which the lads working there passed onto me the other day. I know I said I'd start another thread about it, but decided to keep it here instead. This info was received following work at Silbury Hill at the end of the week:

"Workers at the site found 3 small sarsens in the primary mound one of which needed 2 people to pick up. They will going back in if they haven't been placed back already.

At the top small sarsens were used to pack the chalk blocks and a few were found in the saxon post holes. These also are being placed back."

Not much forthcoming in the next few days, so I 'm told.

Cheers - Paul
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index