To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 11, 2007, 13:17
You can read all about it at eternalidol in due course. We want to make sure everything we post is accurate, informative and true.

Nothing to worry about then ocifant, as without doubt everything on Eternal Idol is accurate, informative and true ;-)
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 13:57
Yes, and on the other perhaps some perspective is needed - how fallen down can the hill get ? It's been there for four and a half thousand years and whatever damage to it there's been is in the past. It's a massive pile of chalk - how, exactly, is it going to collapse ? Into a pancake shape? What peeves me greatly is that there are other 'sacred hills' in the country - perhaps larger, perhaps smaller - some enhanced natural features and some entirely artificial - that don't even 'get a look in'. Forum members here might as well pretend they don't exist, yet produce billows of hot air at the idea that Silbury Hill might settle by a couple of centimetres. Obsession is a creative trait but it is essential to keep some sense of reality.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 14:47
Whow!

What can I say - other than I will leave you and the other 'Winterbourne Defenders' (should such a group or person exist) to do what you seem to be very good at, talking to yourselves and brow-beating anyone who questions or disagrees with you, away from this forum.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 19:51
Littlestone wrote:
Nor is there any doubt in my mind that it was the vigorous debate on TMA over English Heritage's 'ill-advised time capsule project' (as well as Lord Avebury's letter) that succeeded in forcing English Heritage to abandon the project.

pure genius!!!
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 20:09
Pete G wrote:
The fact you wrote (Truthful) in brackets tells me that anything I write here that you don't like will just result in me called a liar.

Not at all Pete. I put that in brackets in an attempt to dissuade those here that may wish to post a 'spun' version of the truth, as opposed to a truly objective viewpoint.

I think we've all had enough of spin just lately. I look forward to reading on EternalIdol...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 20:50
pure genius!!!

Thank you. You may now go back into your kennel ;-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 21:16
No point in addressing PG anymore ocifant - by his own admission he's now left the room. Mind, like one of those dying soldiers in a Chinese Revolutionary Opera, who keep rallying forth for one more speech before finally expiring on the stage of social injustice, I'll bet ya three pints in the Lion that he'll be back before the year is oout ;-)
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 21:51
hey man - you're back - hope you are going to repost all those smithills sites!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 21:56
tuesday wrote:
hey man - you're back - hope you are going to repost all those smithills sites!

Well, if you are, could you please do it elsewhere - this thread is about Silbury. Thank you.
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 22:16
Littlestone wrote:
Do take your needle out of the crack tuesday. Better still, why not actually try addressing some of the issues here instead of just moaning about the views of others.

is that a reference to a broken record? if it is, the correct term is 'groove' and , as a vinyl samplist, I'll take is as a compliment even though the words 'pot, kettle and black' come to mind!

with regard to the 1960s work at Silbury, I think it unfortunate but it's pretty pointless to judge a past context by contemporay mores - or would you seek to undo the restoration of rollright, stonehenge and a thousand other sites? would you tick margaret curtis off for re-erecting the stones of the Bernera circle and scratching her initials in the concrete base? Or Ron Simson's work work at Isbister?

it seems to me that English Heritage have gone to great lengths to make more information about the work at Silbury than has ever been the case in the past. I know from personal experience that they are generally a well intentioned and generally highly skilled bunch of individuals Yes they do dumb things sometimes and like any public body need to be monitored but that's very different than your sad fifth form level conspiracy theory speculations and continual armchair bitching.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index