The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

America and the Irish
Mar 16, 2006, 18:41
Oh yes, I dont deny that. They even said that Irish and/or Basque fishermen had always been to America before. I am a strong believer even in pre-Bronze Age navigation up and down the Atlantic.

But I think we are referring to completely different times. I was thinking about people crossing ON foot around 10,000 years ago (like the Asians did to America) from greenland into Ireland if there was a big enough shelf there like there was between England and the continent until fairly recently (8000 BC?). The area was entirely frozen and that's why it would have meant populations of eskimos living during the ice age and moving southward when the melting started. It is of course possible on such a vast long distance route through the ice, and I dont deny that, but more evidence and logic points the other way round, the shorter easier way, when in the Late Paleolithic and early Mesolithic all the vast areas of Northern Europe were re-occupied by the surviving Europeans, ie, those in the parts of the Continent where people had lived through the ice ages and then followed the herds they had always hunted as they left to the north in search of cold temperatures.

It is of course also possible that people from Greenland or America also joined the party. One thing should not necessarily exclude the other. I would be extremely happy one day to see evidence in skeletons that suggest an influx of people from Ice Age America in Irish prehistory! Wouldn't that be cool.

Cheers
XXX
GP
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index