The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Re: I have always been here before
Mar 13, 2006, 00:03
Regarding rudgley's tv programme, I am sure he is aware of this and is deliberalety *selling* his story. Anything on tv is always highly suspicious.

As regards 'celtic' languages, I believe in a P- and a Q- stream of dialects, but we should also not believe that whoever spoke it was indeed 'celtic' or belonged to the same people. language can tell us a lot, but only in contrast with archeological excavation etc the same goes for the rest of the IE language family, it was adopted everywhere and yet it is highly unlikely that original paleolithic populations were replaced. Perhaps the emphasis should be put on what elements in 'celtic' languages are pre-IE... ie loans from the natives.

"The ideas that really fascinate me are along the lines of trade routes and how ideas, goods and people moved around in the ancient world."

Agreed. I believe that things in the trade department really began to stir on a wide scale in the Bronze Age and many ideas already circulated on a small scale in megalithic times.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index