National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Rock art
Mar 12, 2006, 10:10
"I disagree with this claim. I know what you are referring to and I have seen the rock art you speak about (and I agree that there are 'some' similarities everywhere) but I also think you haven't seen galician rock art itself. Many also suggest a random origin for rock art in Galicia but the fact that it was unique in Iberia and EXACTLY the same as British rock art (NOT Irish) make it a strong contender for some sort of cultural trade links."

How do you know that the RA I was referring to was the same the those you dismiss . I havn't ,sadly , seen the Galician RA in the" flesh "only pics . Regardless I find it interesting that there are examples that are EXACTLY the sme as British RA . Despite similarities between RA in British regions there are no examples of an exact copy of motifs . The closest I know are two examples from Edinburgh and Baku in Azerbhaijan. It is the very ubiquity of very similar motifs world wide that destroys the diffusion /invasion argument that is often heard in RA studies .That is not to say that there were no exchange or invasions , just that it is not the full explanation .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index