The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

mythography
Mar 12, 2006, 15:37
I would if I had the time, I find it hard to post in these forums due to a busy life, although I often enjoy one or two discussions by such knowledgeable people as everyone here, including yourself.

Comparative mythography between Galicia and other 'Celtic' areas is also a highly speculative matter and some of the best papers on it are in Galician (or in Spanish if lucky). And far better researchers are doing this all over Iberia. It would be crazy to even attempt here to write about the Galician three Anas (connected to the Irish triple goddess), the devotion to Epona in Galicia (which still has whole festivals devoted to horses) or how the 'Keltic' tribes all over northern Spain who resisted the Romans for so long had plenty of enough written evidence of sacrifices to Lugh (there's even a town called Lugo). I recently even found that women on a beach let the waves touch their lower parts NINE times for fertility. It is coincidences like these that are curious. A certain cultural stream must have entered these lands with some settlers during the earliest waves of Iindoeuropean migrations then remained isolated (the same in Ireland), that's why they are not strictly Celtic (in a La Tene / Hallstatt way) but pre-Keltic Bronze Age tribes and there the ancient similarities. And in other cases, highly forested areas (with little population) like (north)-western Iberia were occupied initially by foreigners, like the case of the Lusitanians, without necessarily fighting the natives and getting involved in trade etc It varies from region to region obviously.

Regarding rock art, I am sure you know this excelent book: Rock Art and the Prehistory of Atlantic Europe; Signing the Land (RBradley) - where galician and british rock art are conscienciously compared in a scientific manner

Facing the Ocean : The Atlantic and Its Peoples 8000 BC-AD 1500 by Cunliffe is also supposedly fairly all right and it is related to the topic of Atlantic connections, though I havent read it yet

Cheers
GP
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index