The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Re: Odin / Dona
Mar 15, 2006, 20:21
Absolutely, though as I said I have gone from believing he was entirely the shamanic native god adopted by the protovikings to thinking he has retained far too much of indoeuropean culture. I think we are closer than you think. As with Jesus Christ, his name and personality is the only thing that is originally christian, the rest was nearly all borrowed from the current religions at the time and elements from the neighbours. So to adopt a compromise, Odin is essentially a shamanic figure mixed with IE elements. The reason why I have veered towards the IE is finding many elements in him that can be found in Attis or other Bronze Age gods. The Yggdrasil tree is a shamanic device which is also far too ubiquitous in ancient belief in far too distant countries. When I say an eastern origin, I am obviously referring to a siberian one and related to the finns who occupied all of the tundra from east to scandinavia during the megalithic. I presume you are not referring to the Indoeuropeans when you say he must have had an eastern origin, since they also came from the east .

Later I will have a look at the rest of the stuff yo u mention. Thanks a lot.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index