National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Ainu Japan
Mar 16, 2006, 00:33
>Just go on a trip around Japan and you will see how different the people in western Japan are from people in the north and east and yet they are all Japanese.<

In what way are the people of Kansai different from those of Hokuhokto?

>I am afraid those views are derived from Japanese attitudes of superiority during the war (the civilized ones vs the savages or ainu) and by anti-japanese sentiment (trying to establish a 'foreign' caucasian link in their enemy).<

Which war are you referring to?

>The European fascination with the ainu has always been puzzling for the Japanese.<

What is your source for that observation?

>The modern population of Japan is made up of those South and East Asian elements... <

The East Asian influences on the modern Japanese are well documented. What would you say were some of the South Asian influences?

If you are interested in the prehistory of Japan I would refer you to Gerard J Groot's classic <b>The Prehistory of Japan</b> published by Columbia University Press in 1951. For the myths and legends of the Ainu you could do worse than consult Arthur Waley's, <b>Kutune Shiraka: The AinuI Epic</b>, <i>Botteghe Oscure</i>, Rome, 1951
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index