National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: I have always been here before
Mar 12, 2006, 19:13
Great fun if at times infuriating. I have just watched the repeat of Rudgley's "Celts". Great to see so many locations, infuriating to hear him constantly saying "Celts" when the French archaeologists said "Gauls" and the Irish ones said "Irish". He went on and on and only retrieved things by putting the case in perspective in the last few sentences. Anyone missing the last 5 minutes would have received the same old nonsense unchallenged. I kinda wonder if that last 5 minutes will not be chopped for American television.

As regards language - we really need to look much further back in time to the origins of modern Welsh, Erse, Manx, Cornish etc. Let us stop calling them the "Celtic languages" now and study them and their relationships with each other and with the rest of Europe. Clearly they originated (if language can ever be said to originate anywhere at any particular time) and developed long, long before the brilliant Iron Age cultures mistakenly called "Celtic" ever arose.

The ideas that really fascinate me are along the lines of trade routes and how ideas, goods and people moved around in the ancient world.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index