The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
National Geographic and Celts

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Galloway
Mar 12, 2006, 15:50
Oh yeah, I am sure that many discoveries lie there to prove us all partly wrong one day. I know of the contrasts with Galloway in rock art, Bradley makes that quite clear in his comparative studies. I still trust the generalizations though and the way his studies follow 'tendencies'. If 90% follow a certain trend then there must be something there. Still, I am convinced that each area must have had, like with the building of megalithic graves in Britain, their own regionalisms. Yes, even in a country like Galicia there is always a tiny area that breaks the general rule. After all, they were human and competition and dissent has always been pretty common. Valcamonica is also a fascinating place isn't it but I cannot comment much about it except say that I love it.

I also love the way that Hoskin's magnificent work of passage grave orientations (you know the SE/E generalizations) were shattered when he came across the great passage graves of Pastora (near Seville), one with the longest corridor ever - nearly 50 metres - the other one 40 metres. After months of intensive study and finding that nearly all had winter solstice sunrise orientations, the biggest one was orientated west!

And of course we shouldn't forget that rock art was created over a period of 1000-2000 years and longer in some areas, and meanings and intentions faded to be replaced by new ones. Thus it is also possible that deviations from the norm could also date to 500 years later. And you know that rock art is extremely difficult to date.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index