The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Encouraging responsible metal detecting

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: a question about personal collections
Aug 03, 2005, 12:29
Are you telling me most artifact collectors really don't care where they got their artifacts from?
Because if they don't keep such records, then what's the point in registering those collections at all? Without knowing where it was found, isn't one bronze axe very like another? and if it isn't like another, then you can't even hypothesise why, if you don't know anything of its provenance.

I can appreciate the pull of collecting (personally I have got hooked by collecting intangible information, but if I ever found a bronze axe I would hug it all the way home). If people don't really care about the possible importance of their collections of artefacts - the importance to our society trying to understand more about our own human past - and they don't want to do a simple thing like write down a grid reference, well they should go and collect Wade pottery or something. Surely. Because it's just selfish not to record such simple information for the future, even if you're determined to hug your collection to your chest while you're alive.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index